Our Mission is to provide the best total health care to all individuals in the communities of New York City suffering from mental health, addiction, or physical health problems. Unitas works to aide every patient in reaching their individual goals, dreams, and helping all patients have the best quality of life possible. Unitas does this in a very open, accepting, non-judgmental, and friendly environment. What sets St. Mark’s Place Institute for Mental Health, Inc., also known as Unitas, apart from other clinics is Unitas has a unique integrated approach to health problems. Patients’ mental health and physical health are evaluated separately and a combined total treatment plan is developed. Providers work closely together, discussing new findings, discussing how one aspect of a patient’s health will affect another, and how to best take care of the patient. Unlike other clinics, Unitas prides itself on providers working face to face in the same building to develop a plan and often times even sitting in on each other’s appointments to help coordinate care.
Unitas is a voluntary not-for-profit behavioral health and primary care clinic. Unitas is licensed by NYS Office of OMH, the office of OASAS, and via the DSRIP Project 3.a.i, can provide primary care services. Unitas was first organized by Dr. Roman Pabis in 1983 as an Outpatient Mental Health Clinic certified by the New York State Office of Mental Health (OMH), specifically for Polish and other East European Slavic persons. A few years later, to meet the demand, a chemical dependency program was added that is certified by the New York State Office of Alcoholism and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS). Most recently Unitas added physical health to the services it can provide to the communities of New York City. Unitas also is a strong member of a larger network of outpatient treatment facilities which Unitas works closely with to provide the best care for patients with different levels of treatment needs.
Unitas has a dedicated staff of health practitioners delivering specialized services with a unique sensitivity to the cultural and linguistic needs of its patients. Unitas can provide services in English, Polish, Slovak, Ukrainian, Russian, Spanish, and Byelorussian. With effective treatment and support, Unitas believes that recovery from mental illness, addiction, or physical health is achievable, and Unitas can provide that treatment in a friendly and caring environment.
our licensors and endorsements/contracts
- NYS Office of Mental Health (OMH)
- NYS Office of Alcohol and Substance Abuse Services (OASAS)
- NYS Integrated Program for Mental Health and Substance Use disorder
- NYS OMH Integrated Program for Behavioral Health, Primary Care, and Substance Use disorder
- Federal Courts – Pretrial Contract – Endorsements
- Federal Bureau of Prisons – Contract- Endorsements
- All people, regardless of sex, race, socioeconomic status, or religious beliefs, have the right to proper up-to-date mental health and physical health treatment
- All people must be treated with fairness, respect, and dignity in a culturally and linguistically competent way
- Treatment plans are based on a comprehensive evaluation and developed in collaboration with the patient
- Patients and their families are the centers of developing, executing, and implementing treatment plans
- Care must have to be structured and ensure access to all additional services
- All people have the right to access to the highest quality and most efficient integrated services
we believe in
- Integrity and honesty
- Openness and respectfulness to all patients
- Setting the standard for excellence in the delivery of patient care, patient safety and the quality of the mental health, substance abuse, and physical health
- Continually improving the quality of services and the overall patient care experience
- Providing exemplary clinical settings for educating the healthcare professionals who will form the collaborative healthcare delivery team of tomorrow
- Providing services to all patients regardless of who they are
- Providing a highly rewarding environment for our employees